Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Psalm 27 #joy

Lately I've been thinking a lot about joy.  Many people ask the question, "What is joy?" but most peope ask the question, "How can I FIND joy?"  The real answer to that is through Christ. No amount of money, no present on Christmas, no person in your life will satisfy you, or bring you happiness like God will.  Lately, I'e been a few of the Psalms for a camp u north that my church youth group goes to every year.  I've been finding that even though it's time consuming to memorize, it's something I want to do more because it brings me joy.  It's one thing to be comforted by reading verses from God's word, but to commit them to memory and to know them, repeat them over and over, your mind being attached to them...it's a comforting, joyful feeling.  The past 4 years I've memorized, because of my attitude, my heart, my priorities; memorizing verses had been a burden. Now, God has changed my attitude to be joyfu, and now I find memorizing bible verses to be fun.  I just finished memorizing Psalm 27.  In verse 1, the Psalm says:

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?

This verse shows us we have nothing to be fearful about. Nothing to worry about! I have a problem with worrying.  I worry about tons of things, even crazy things that no one would imagine but me.   This verse reminds me that God is in complete control. What reason do I even have to worry?

The Psalm goes on, and in verse

You have said, "Seek my face."
My heart says to you,
"Your face, Lord, do I seek."

This verse reminds me to seek His face, always. There's nothing better out there, nothing else will bring me happiness, joy, contentment ,provision. All I need to do is trust Him, and to seek after Him.

Well, I'm going to start memorizing Psalm 32.  I'll probably write about that Psalm next. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment